A brief history


ColaboratoriiThe Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the Faculty of Medicine was founded in November 1945. The founder of the Department was Dr hab., Professor M. Moghiliov – a representative of the Leningrad School of obstetrics and gynecology.

Since 1948 the Department was headed by  Professor A. Cocerginschi, who led it until 1971.

Professor A. Cocerginschi educated a whole myriad of practicing physicians and scientific workers of the number of graduates of the Institute of Medicine in Chisinau. Among them there were the teachers Paladi Gh, A. Slepâh, V. Linchevici, Gh Lutenco, E. Gladun, lecturers M. Stemberg, Gh Mark.

Since 1971 the leadership of the Department has been taken by Professor Gheorghe Paladi, academician of the Academy of Sciences of Moldova.

The Department worked with integrity until 1986, when according to the decision of the Scientific Council of the University and  Ministry of Health of the Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic, order of 25.06.1986 No. 80-6 a reorganization was carried out, after which they began to work independently within three departments: The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology No.1 (The Head of the Department – academician Gh.Paladi), The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology of the Pediatrics Faculty later – The Department No.2 (The Head of the Department-prof.univ. Marin Rotaru), The Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology No.3 (the Head of the Department – Associate professor Petru Roșca).

Given the reduced admission in the first year of studies in 1999-2000 and also essential reduction of the number of groups and academic hours, in order to have a better educational process and optimized cost of the financial resources, according to the decision of the Senate of the  State University of Medicine and Pharmacy of 25.06.1999, Article 78, chapters VIII of the University book and Decision of 26.10.1999 of the College Council of the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Moldova, the Order of 15.11.1999 No.1192-CU the Departments of Obstetrics and Gynecology 1, 2 and 3 were merged into a single Department with the previous clinical foundations (The Head of the Department – Professor Valentin Friptu).

Given that the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology has an important place in the structure of the postgraduate residency training of the future family physicians,  the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology (residency) of the “Nicolae Testemiţanu” State University of Medicine and Pharmacy was founded in 01.09.2004 under the leadership of Mrs. Olga Cernețchi, doctor habilitate in Health Sciences, Professor.

The clinical basis of the Chair is the Public Medical Institution Municipal Clinical Hospital No. 1 which includes: the Obstetrics Department No 1 and 2, the pathologies of pregnant women, the aseptic gynecology No.1 and No.2, the Department No.3 of therapy in pregnant women, the septic gynecology; the Public Medical Institution Municipal Maternity No.2, the “Archangel Michael ” hospital “,  the “Holy Trinity” hospital , the Emergency Hospital.